What’s not to like? Fried cheese, potato and leeks !!
Makes around 15 potato cakes
- 1 Kg potatoes, peeled and coarsely grated
- 50g Queijo de Isla cheese (or a strong cheddar) coarsely grated
- 50g Parmesan cheese coarsely grated
- 1 small skinny leek split longways down the middle and finely sliced
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 30g plain flour
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 tsp salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 6 tablespoons or more of Corn oil, for frying
- Put the grated potatoes into a kitchen towel and, over the sink, squeeze as much liquid as you possibly can out of them.
- In a large bowl put the cheeses, leek, garlic powder, flour, salt, and pepper mix well, then add the squeezed potatoes, mix and finally add the beaten eggs. Stir well.
- In a large frying pan heat the oil over a medium high heat. Use a serving spoon to take equal amounts of potato mixture and add to the pan. Use the back of a spoon to flatten the cakes. Cook about 4 to 5 potato cakes at a time.
- Cook until browned, about 4 minutes per side.
- Repeat with remaining potato mixture.
- Transfer the potato cakes to a plate lined with paper towel to remove excess oil.
- Serve while still warm with dipping sauces, tomato, mayonnaise or whatever takes your fancy.
Based on an original recipe at: