Loved the taste of these patties. Some odd cooking methods but it works !!! Good hot or cold.
Ingredients to make the beef patties meat filling:
- 650 grams lean ground beef (1 lb)
- 375 grams water
- 3 tablespoons Olive oil
- 2 medium size yellow or red onion finely chopped
- 2 – 6 cloves of garlic
- 60 grams fresh spring onions or 2 tablespoons dried spring onion
- 1 hot pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoon paprika ()
- 1 teasp black pepper
- 1 ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon allspice
- ½ teasp cinnamon
- ¼ teasp nutmeg
- 110 grams breadcrumbs
- 90 grams butter
Instruction on how to prepare beef patty filling:
- Set stove to medium-low setting and add the lean ground beef into a saucepan with the water and olive oil, the meat should be submerged in water completely.
- Cook and simmer the meat for approximately 20–30 minutes without a lid. Do not let it go dry.
- Add in the chopped onions, minced garlic, spring onions, hot pepper, salt, paprika, pepper thyme, allspice, cinnamon and nutmeg and stir until well combined. You need to add a little more water to the ground meat, you don’t want dry meat, the meat should be juicy. Cook again on a low simmer until the onion is soft.
- Add in the breadcrumbs stir to combine mixture. Again, just make sure there is enough liquid to absorb the breadcrumb.
- Add in the butter and combine. Once butter is mixed in, remove the mixture from the heat to cool a little
- Then put the mixture into a square or rectangular dish and smooth it down.
- When cool mark into 18 pieces of the same size.
Ingredients for beef patty pastry dough
- 675 grams plain flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1½ tablespoon granulated sugar
- 330 grams unsalted butter
- 3 tablespoons turmeric powder
- 345 grams ice cold water
Instruction on how to prepare beef patty pastry dough:
- In a food processor add the plain flour, salt, turmeric powder, butter, and pulse until a crumble like texture is developed. The mixture should look like breadcrumbs.
- Add in the ice-cold water and pulse again until ingredients are well combined and come together.
- Remove dough from the machine onto a well floured board and wrap in plastic, place into the refrigerator for 30 minutes wto an hour.
Instructions on how to assemble Jamaican beef patty:
- Preheat the oven to 185Cº
- Remove chilled dough from refrigerator and divide it into 18 equal parts.
- Roll each dough piece into a ball and then roll out to a 14cm round circle. I found my cereal bowls are this size or a small plate.
- Fill each pastry disc with filling around the centre of the pastry dough.
- Overlap the pastry dough to resemble a half-moon crescent and pinch the outer end with a fork to seal the seams.
- Place the patties onto a lined baking tray and bake in the middle rack for 25-30 minutes or until the beef patty is lightly golden browned.
These freeze well unbaked and keep for up to 6 months in the freezer.