This is a weird one, but honestly surprisingly tasty, gluten free and vegetarian.
1 medium cauliflower, cut into small florets, stem removed
1 large egg beaten
1 cup fresh shredded Parmesan cheese
1 tsp Italian seasoning
4 thick slices of cheddar cheese (or more..)
1. Preheat oven to 220ºC/450ºF. Place cauliflower into a food processor and pulse until it becomes crumbs
2. Place cauliflower crumbs into a large microwave safe bowl and microwave for 2 minutes. Your cauliflower should be soft and tender (and hot!).
3. Stir cauliflower to mix up the bottom and top cauliflower. Place back into the microwave and cook for another 3 minutes. Remove and stir again so that all the cauliflower cooks evenly. Place back into microwave and cook for 5 minutes. At this point, you should see the cauliflower is starting to become more dry. Microwave for another 5 minutes. Then another 5 (depends on how powerful your microwave is, mine is a cheap and cheerful model so everything takes a little longer) Cauliflower should still be slightly moist to the touch, but should look slightly dry. It should not be wet.
4. Let it cool slightly and add in the egg, Parmesan and seasoning. Stir to combine until smooth paste forms. Divide into 4 equal parts. Place onto a large baking sheet lined with parchment paper. With your hands shape into square bread slices about the thickness of a medium sliced loaf. Bake in the pre-heated oven for about 15-18 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from oven and let cool a few minutes.
5. With a large spatula turn the “toast” over and then put a large slice of cheese on each piece.
6. Return to the oven for 4 – 5 minutes.
7. Eat hot or cold. Makes great canapés/nibbles if cut into small squares. Will firm up bit more when cold