Tasty, easy, full of protein and cheap. What more could you want !!
- 1 Vegetable stock cube
- 600 ml boiling water
- 200g green lentils
- 2 bay leaves
- 4 peeled garlic cloves, coarsely chopped
- 2 good tablespoons of tahini
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil plus a little extra
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3 good tablespoons of chopped coriander
- In a medium saucepan, combine the stock cube, boiling water, green lentils and bay leaf. Bring to a boil, then simmer, lid off, over a low heat, stirring occasionally, until the lentils are tender, and there is no stock left, about 45 minutes, keep an eye on the mix so it does not burn, if you run out of stock before the lentils are cooked add a little more hot water. When cooked, discard the bay leaves and leave the lentils to cool slightly.
- Add to the lentils the chopped garlic, tahini, olive oil, lemon juice and cumin and puree in a food processor or with a blender until smooth. Scrape the hummus into a bowl and add 2 of the tablespoons of the chopped cilantro and season with salt to your taste. Garnish the hummus with the remaining 2 tablespoons of chopped cilantro and an added dash of olive oil. Serve warm or at room temperature with crisps, pita bread or raw veggies.
Original recipe by Chef MEHMET GÜRS at