Excellent recipe for moist lovely cake squares which freeze very well (you can actually eat them directly from the freezer!).
- 2 cups of plain white flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup corn or peanut nut oil.
- 1¾ cups caster sugar
- 4 beaten eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla essence
- 2 cups of unpeeled, grated dessert apples
- ½ cup chopped hazelnuts
- 1 ½ cups icing sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 3 tablespoons hot water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- Preheat oven to 180ºC
- In a large bowl stir the flour, baking soda, cinnamon and salt together.
- In another bowl, beat the oil, caster sugar, eggs, and vanilla essence.
- Add the liquid ingredients to the dry and beat well.
- Stir in the grated apples and nuts.
- Pour into a lined, greased 28x21x4cms baking pan
- Bake 40 – 50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean.
- Leave in the pan to cool down
- When still warm (but not hot) use a toothpick to prick lots of holes in the cake mixture
- Mix all the icing ingredients together and pour slowly and evenly over the cake
- Leave to cool completely in the pan and then cut into square
Based on an original recipe by Author: Katie Kimball