Alice’s chilli con carne
Make the Meat sauce a day before and leave in the fridge overnight to develop the flavours before adding the beans and reheating to serve. The mix of meats and the lemon gives this dish a wonderful flavour. Another crowd pleaser !!
500g lean belly pork slices (entremeada in Portugal)
700g lean stewing steak (bife de carne cozida in Portugal)
2 tbsp olive oil
4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
1 unwaxed lemon washed well in water only
3 tbsp of your favourite chilli powder
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tbsp plain flour
2 bay leaves
2 tbsp tomato purée
300ml red wine
450ml beef stock
400g can black beans, drained and rinsed (on the final day of cooking)
- The day before, remove the fat from the belly pork and beef and cut the meat into small chunks (1.5 – 2 cm chunks) – this will take up to 20 -30 mins.
- Over a moderate heat in a spacious, heavy-based pan, put in the olive oil and then stir in the onions and garlic, stirring often, for 10-15 mins until soft.
- Cut the lemon into quarters lengthways, then remove the pithy core and seeds. Chop into very small pieces (each with a bit of peel).
- Remove the pan from the heat and scoop the contents into a sieve, letting any fat drain back into the pan. Put the sieve and its contents on one side.
- Return the pan to the heat and brown the meat in the hot oil, adding a little more in necessary. Add the chilli powder and cumin, and cook over a low heat for 2 mins, stirring constantly. Add the flour and cook for a further 2 mins. Add the bay leaves, 1/2 tsp salt, the lemon, tomato purée, red wine and stock.
- Return the onions in the sieve to the pan. Bring to a simmer, stirring often, then reduce the heat and cook, uncovered, and stirring occasionally to avoid sticking, for 2 hrs until the sauce is thick and the liquid has reduced. If the sauce gets too thick and starts to stick on the bottom add a little more water. Once the meat is cooked and the sauce is thick. Add salt to taste.
- Turn off the heat and cool, cover and chill overnight in the fridge.
- Can be frozen at this stage for up to 1 month – defrost overnight in the fridge before continuing with the recipe.
- Add the beans to the chilli and reheat. Serve with rice or garlic bread and salad.
Based on the recipe at: