First made January 2019 to convince Alice that Tofu was not a pretty horrid substance but could be very tasty !!! Putting the tofu into hot water appears very odd but it does firm it up to make it easier to stir fry.
1 and half litres of water
1 pack (375g) silken tofu (extra firm)
1 Tablespoon corn oil
3 tablespoons creamy unsalted, unsweetened peanut butter
1 tablespoon rice vinegar
2 teaspoons soy sauce
1 teaspoon of maple syrup
3 cm cube of ginger chopped very finely
2 to 4 tablespoons warm water
- Bring a pan of Water up to the boil having added enough salt to make it taste like the sea.
- Cut the tofu into 3 cm squares.
- Take the pan off the heat and gently add the tofu to it. Leave for 15 minutes.
- In a small jar, whisk together all the sauce ingredients. Thin out as required with warm water.
- Drain the Tofu in a sieve then dry on kitchen paper.
- In a frying pan heat 1 Tablespoon of corn oil and fry the Tofu over a medium to high heat until golden brown (takes 5 – 10 minutes.
- Add the sauce and gently stir until the sauce starts to cling to the tofu and caramelises slightly. Serve hot or cold.