Ben wanted some Granola bars to take on his travels and have for breakfast / snacks. Just not too sweet. So I went looking for a recipe and came up with these.
I believe any mix of 450g dried fruts and nuts and seeds can be used in this recipe as long as the amount of porridge oats, butter, sugar and honey stay the same to act as the “Glue”.
120g butter (plus extra for greasing the tin)
200g porridge oats
200g chopped mixed nuts (walnuts, brazil nuts, hazelnuts)
50g sesame seeds
3 tbsp honey
50g soft brown sugar
50g Coconut flakes
100g mixed dried fruit (sultanas, raisins etc)
50g banana chips ( broken so about the size of sultanas)
- Heat oven to 160C.
- Butter and line a 20 x 28cm tin with grease proof paper , put to one side.
- Mix the oats, nuts and sesame seeds in another shallow roasting pan, and put in the preheated oven for around 10 mins to toast, watch it so it does not burn.
- While the nuts are toasting, put the butter, honey and sugar into a large non stick pan (or wok), stirring until the mixture boils up, boil gently for 1-2 minutes then turn the heat off but leave on the stove.
- Add the toasted oat/nut/seed mix, coconut flakes, dried fruit and banana chips then mix until all everything is well coated. Tip into the lined tin, press down firmly, then bake in the oven for 30 mins.
- Take out of the oven and press the mixture down again firmly with a spatula, leave to cool in the tin, when just warm cut into 12 bars with a large knife, pressing down to cut (not sawing which will mess up the mixture), leave until cold then remove the bars from the tin into an airtight container.
Based loosely on