- 1 large butternut squash
- 1/2 cup low fat creme fraiche or plain yogurt
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup dried bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup finely grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- Wash and dry butternut squash. Leave whole. Pierce skin with a fork in 4 or 5 places. Place squash on a baking sheet lined with foil and bake in a 350F/180ºC oven for 40 minutes or until soft. Remove from oven and allow to cool.
- When squash is cool enough to handle cut lengthwise in two pieces. Remove and discard seeds. Spoon out squash into a casserole dish. Add creme fraiche or yogurt and 1 tablespoon of the butter. Mash all ingredients together with a potato masher. Smooth mixture in casserole dish.
- In a small bowl melt the remaining tablespoon of butter. Stir in breadcrumbs and parmesan mixing to moisten. Sprinkle crumb mixture on top of squash and sprinkle with grated nutmeg. Bake in 350F/180ºC degree oven for 25 minutes.
First Published on the web October 15, 2006 Kaye Bailey
Altered a little by Rowena for Europeans. I really like this dish but the rest of my family are not butternut squash lovers, so I save it for special times when I am on my own and can indulge.