- 3 slim / medium Aubergines, sliced lengthways
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 large garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 x 400g tins tomatoes chopped up
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme
- 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 teaspoons red wine vinegar
- 1 tsp sugar
- Hot sauce
- small bunch basil leaves, torn
- 50g parmesan cheese grated
- 50g cheddar cheese grated
- 2 x 125g balls mozzarella, torn into small chunks
- 200g fresh lasagne sheets (9 sheets)
- Heat grill to high. Arrange the aubergine slices on a baking sheet, brush with oil and season well with salt and pepper. Grill for 4 – 5 minutes on each side until golden brown, set aside.
- Heat oven to 200C/180C fan/gas 6
- Heat oil in a saucepan over a medium heat. Fry the garlic gently for 1 min then pour in the chopped up canned tomatoes and simmer for 10 mins with the thyme leaves, vinegars and sugar then season with salt and pepper, hot sauce to taste and stir in the torn basil leaves.
- Assemble the lasagne in a roughly A4-sized baking dish. Spread a few tbsp of the tomato sauce over the base of the dish, followed by a layer of aubergine. Scatter over some Parmesan and mozzarella, then cover with a layer of lasagne. Repeat, finishing with a topping of Parmesan and mozzarella.
- Cook the lasagne in the oven for 30 – 35 mins until golden and bubbling.
Based on a recipe at